High radon levels in homes in homes can result in radon poisoning. It is estimated that there are about 20,000 lung cancer deaths annually that are caused by radon poisoning. In fact, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer and costs the United States over $2 billion annually in health care costs.
Radon levels in homes and schools
Approximately one out of every three homes that have been tested throughout seven states and three Indian lands have shown to have increased levels of radon over the accepted level of 4 pCi/L. When a home is found to have this level, they are receiving about 35 times the amount of radon that they would if they were standing next to a radioactive waste site.
Schools have also been tested for radon levels and an elementary student who is subjected to eight hours of it on a daily basis of this level of radon is receiving the equivalent radiation as though they were standing at the edge of a nuclear power plant.
It is suggested by scientists that people who are subjected to 4 pCi/L levels of radon have a one in 100 chance of dying from a radon induced disease. In fact, radon has about 1000 times more risk of causing death than any other carcinogen that is regulated by the EPA. It is also important to note that there is no safe level of radon even though the EPA approves exposure to it to less than 4 pCi/L.
In the past, radon was placed in spas because it was believed to have medical effects. It is colorless and is the heaviest known gas that exists. The most common way that people are exposed to radon is through inhalation and ingestion. It can be found in the ground as well as in groundwater that can be consumed by humans.
Another likely place to be exposed to high radon levels is in the workplace. Those who work in underground or confined air spaces have an increased risk of inhaling high radon levels because it is found naturally in these areas and is put off by the natural breakdown of uranium. Well water is also a common location to find a source of radon.
The only way that you will know if your home is subjecting you to high levels of radon is to have a test completed. You will not see immediate symptoms if you are being exposed to radon and it can be several years before any complications to emerge from radon exposure.
The EPA, as well as a number of other organizations, suggests testing for radon since this is the only way that you will know the radon levels that are in your home. Nationally, the exposure to radon is a major environmental health problem. There have been elevated levels of it found in every state and it is estimated that there are nearly 8,000,000 homes that have levels of radon that are elevated.
It is possible to correct a radon issue in your home and the cost to do so is less than $500. This can sometimes be completed by yourself, but there are times when a professional may need to be involved as well.